A call for leadership: The Literacy Connection is looking for you!
The Literacy Connection has current volunteer openings on our Board of Directors. The qualified persons will possess strong leadership skills as well as a passion for our mission of helping local residents improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills. We are especially looking for members with professional skills in the fields of law; fund development including fundraising; marketing; finance; and human resources.
What do our Directors do?
- We advance the mission of The Literacy Connection.
- We determine and monitor the organization’s policies, programs and services.
- We develop and execute a strategic plan to ensure that we are serving our mission and meeting the changing needs of our clients and community.
- We provide ongoing support and guidance to the Executive Director and her staff as they fulfill our mission.
How do we fulfill our responsibilities?
- We attend board meetings on the fourth Monday of the month and actively participate after reviewing the agenda and supporting materials.
- We actively participate in at least one of the standing committees: Board Development, Fund Development, Audit, and Finance as well as on any special time-limited task forces.
- We participate in the planning and execution of special events throughout the year.
- We engage with our key volunteers and clients, the agency’s tutors and learners.
- We actively participate in fundraising and networking efforts.
- We engage in continuing education in the fields of literacy and board development.
- We donate our time, energy, professional skills, and resources enthusiastically.